Now that you’ve decided to have portraits taken, how do you find and choose a professional photographer?
- Who do you call?
- What should you ask?
- What should you expect?
Choosing the right photographer can make all the difference! These tips will help you make a great choice!
If you are starting from scratch, take the time to look at a variety of work. Do a Google search on photographers in your area and look carefully at the websites.
- Do you like the style?
- Do the people in the photographs look good? Are they relaxed and having fun?
- Is there a lot of variety?
- Are the images flattering?
- Are there great “testimonials” from past clients.
After you’ve narrowed the field down, make some calls and talk about your plans with several photographers. Check availability. Ask “what’s next”. If all they want to do is put you on the calendar and meet you somewhere for the photos…watch out! A professional photographer offers complete client service. Their focus is on providing you with a great experience! When you invest in fine photography you deserve the help of your photographer from the planning stage all the way until your photographs are hanging in your home.
Making the Right Choice. What you should expect.
When you are choosing a professional photographer, you are beginning a relationship. Choose a photographer who is an artist, a professional, and someone you feel comfortable with.
- The photographer you choose should meet with you before your session to get acquainted and learn about you and what you are looking for. What is the reason for the session? What do you want to do with the finished portraits? If you are unsure, the photographer should offer suggestions.
- You should discuss who is being photographed and details about family relationships. If a photographer doesn’t know anything about the subjects, it is difficult to establish rapport. This is particularly true with children and large family groups.
- Your photographer should show you samples of their work as displayed in clients homes.
- The photographer should provide you with advice and examples of good clothing selections. Clothing choices make a huge difference in photographs. You should receive samples photos that you can use to help you select the right clothing.
- You should talk about the style of photograph you desire. Are you looking for an outdoor location, photographs in your home or something in the studio. Be sure you see samples in the style you have selected.
- The photographer should introduce you to his line of photographic products and discuss ranges of prices. You want to be comfortable with the costs before you begin.
- Does the photographer offer complete artwork services. Will the images you select be completely retouched to make you look your best. Quality artwork makes an enormous difference!
- Does your photographer offer a great selection of frames in which to display your finished portraits?
- Does your photographer offer to deliver and install your finished portraits.
The Business Side
- Does the photographer offer a 100% No Risk Guarantee?
- Is the photographer a licensed business? How long have they been in business.
- Does your photographer offer a client agreement, which outlines their policies and your protections?
- Does the photographer offer multiple ways to pay, including credit cards and interest-free payment plans.
If you think about it, great photographs are usually the result of collaboration between the artist and the client. Communication and planning help make everything go smoothly and make the results something special.